hidden hit counter Late Harvest: Passion vs. Discipline

Friday, December 09, 2005

Passion vs. Discipline

My business partner asked me, about a week ago, "how come you never update your blog?"

I didn't have an answer at the time, but I have realized since that it's that I completely lack discipline. This may not be a permanent or persistent problem, but I can definitely see that certain areas of my life reflect a weak and spotty record of attention:
  • my bedroom
  • taxes and other matters of filing
  • paying down financial debts
  • fitness
  • blogging
As a result, all of the above are blights on my life.

However, other things I practice with great passion, demonstrating fastidiousness and addiction:
  • 2 coffees every day
  • spelling and speaking properly
  • watching documentaries, talking about documentaries, making documentaries
  • work
All these involve a spotty kind of discipline, where I pay lots of attention to them but lack balance because I am busy avoiding responsibility for related items in the first category.

Part of the deal with this is a belief that passion and discipline are polar opposites. As a result, I not only lack discipline, I actually despise the very idea of it.

Thinking passion and discipline are opposites is a faulty belief; I know this, because the things I care about, I have discipline in. That means passion and discipline can coexist. In fact, regularly not taking responsibility for things is a kind of discipline in itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home