hidden hit counter Late Harvest: General Error

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

General Error

General Error

It's just before midnight and I'm draining a big ol' coffee. It's now the fourth night in a row that I'm guzzling caffeine to stay awake, but this time it's different. I'm redoing work that I've done already.

I have a knack with technology. Everywhere I've worked I become the go-to-guy when it comes to troubleshooting computers, fixing broken locks, and making things work.

Is that why technology fails me so often? Because I make it work too hard?

Today, we reconnected the drives which we've spent the last 3 days painstakingly capturing our film onto, sixteen hours or more a day.

When I reconnected the drives and fired up the project file for "Late Harvest," the last drive we had been capturing to checked out OK. All the media was there. Then, I looked at the first drive's directory listing. Something seemed not-quite-right.

Last night, the last thing we did before leaving was connect both drives and painstakingly check every single file to make sure the tapes were all there, properly captured, that the audio was OK. It all checked out. We knocked down - carefully - and headed home, jubilant, excited about how beautiful everything looked, about how well the story was coming together.

So I just didn't believe it when I opened that drive and nothing showed. Actually, what showed was even worse than nothing. What showed was the backup of our iTunes music library, and that's IT. What good does THAT do me???

I've never seen anything like this before. We looked at it with Norton, with Diskwarrior, and now with Data Rescue II. None of them show anything useful. It's as if those 24 files were never even there. Norton was the only one that found anything - about 1400 numbered text files that it said were 1.5Gb each... meaning the drive would be 1.5Gb x 1400. Ridiculous. I continue trying to recover the data.

Tape 7 and counting. It's 12:30am. Another 13 to go.

Oh well. At least I get to watch CSI and drink coffee all night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home